A classic summer dish in my house, this recipe is great for those hot days when cooking is just not an option. For Diabetics, this salad is a good replacement when all you want is carbs, the vegetables help to take most of that away, but you can still enjoy some pasta. Try this one outside on a picnic or at a BBQ.
Raw ingredients to meal: 20 Minutes
You will need:
- 1/2 Lb Whole Wheat Angel Hair Pasta (Regular works well too, and is slightly lighter)
- 1 Medium Zucchini (Julienned)
- 1 Medium Yellow Summer Squash (Julienned)
- 2 Crowns Broccoli (Cut in small, bite-sized florets)
- 1 1/4 Cups Peas (Frozen works fine, but fresh if you have them!)
- 1/2 Cup Your favorite Italian Dressing (Newman’s Light Italian Dressing is good)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Very simple! Boil up your pasta until is is just al dente. While it’s cooking prepare all of the vegetables and in a medium bowl, mix them all together. They are to be left raw. No cooking required.
- When the pasta is cooked and drained, rinse it in warm water. Shake out excess and add to the vegetables. Mix really well. It’s going to be hard to get the veggies incorporated into the spaghetti, but you will get there. With great patience comes great rewards.
- Mix in your favorite Italian dressing, salt and pepper and combine. Serve hot or the next day cool.
Variation: Try some tofu or “chicken” strips (Morning Star Farms are good) mixed in for added protein.
read some related articles: