This is a classic German style cucumber salad that I have ‘veganized’ very simply with the use of sour cream substitutes. Try this salad, it’s just the right amount of sour and salty and crunchy and creamy. Not necessarily the healthiest item on the menu, but a small serving on the side of something with a little more of a nutritional bang
This is a very simple recipe, that is easy to make, only requiring a few ingredients and a small amount of time to prepare. Try making it ahead of time and chilling it overnight, it’s even better.
Tip on getting it perfect:
Try the cucumber before putting it in the salad. One bitter one will ruin the whole batch. Try using English cucumbers. Or, if using regular ones, never, ever use ones that are soft or yellow. Buy them slender and dark green, as they tend to be less sour. I know, this is meant to be a sour salad! But the dressing is, not the cucumber.
Raw ingredients to finished product: 15 minutes.
You will need:
- 3 Large Cucumbers (Peeled).
- 1/2 tub of Tofutti Sour Supreme ‘Sour Cream’.
- 1/8 Cup White Vinegar.
- 1/8 Tsp. Dill
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Use a grater to slice the cucumbers very thin. As noted in the tip above, try them before doing the all hard work. If it’s bitter, sour or soft, don’t use it. DON’T TROW IT AWAY. It can still be used in a regular garden salad. But for this, the cucumber is the main flavor and you don’t want it to get over powered. After your cucumbers are sliced, salt and let stand for 5 minutes.
- There should now be a little pool around your cucumbers, pepper and dill them, and now add the sour cream. Mix until all incorporated.
- This step is more to taste then to measurement. Adding the vinegar to the salad. If you add to much, your dinner guests faces will pucker permanently. Add to little and all you taste is the sour cream. Best thing you can do is add a little at a time and try it every step of the way until you are left with a delicious salad that you can’t wait to serve.
read some related articles: